Concord Baptist Church was founded in the year 1872 by Rev. J. R. Ross and Pink Ross. The first church was a Brush Harbor, named “Siscross” by Sis. Elisa Morgan, and was located on one acre of land that was given to the church by Bro. Chester Morgan. A few years later, the church purchased an additional half acre of land from Bro. Morgan. The first Deacons of the church were Bro. Sam Lipscomb, Bro. Phillip Morgan, and Bro. George Morgan (Chairman) of the Deacon Board.
Rev. Riley Lipscomb succeeded Rev. J. R. Ross. The second church was built under his leadership. The building was a log cabin dubbed with mud. Many years later, under the leadership of Rev. Lipscomb, the third church was built and the name changed to Concord Baptist Church. As the church grew larger, Bro. James Manning, Bro. Robert Morgan, Bro. Giles Manning, Bro. William Camp Sr., and Bro. Walter Long (Chairman) were added to the board of Deacons.
In 1920, Rev. J. T. Williams succeeded Rev. Riley Lipscomb. Under the leadership of Rev. Williams, The church purchased two acres of land from William Phillips for $500.00. The first missionary society was organized in 1920 by Sis. G. L. McCree. The first Vocal and Spiritual Choirs were organized by Bro. Bon Camp and Bro. William Jolley. In 1926, Bro. Claude Jolley and Bro. Freeman Camp were ordained as deacons.
On January 22, 1927, Rev. J. C. Tobin became pastor. Under the leadership of Rev. Tobin, the fourth church was built for $5,300. Rev. Tobin was pastor for nine years. Bro. Robert Manning, Bro. W. P. Moss, and Bro. William Camp were added to the deacon board. In 1935, Rev. Tobin was called from labor to reward. Over the following years, Concord was served by pastors Rev. James Dawkins, Rev. Irons, Rev. Dillard, and Rev. T. N. Moss.
In 1950, under the leadership of Rev. Moss, who served as pastor for nine years, the church was bricked, chairs were purchased for the choir stand, the ceiling was fixed, the inside was painted, the roof was replaced, electric lights and a baptism pool was installed. Because the church did not have running water, the men of the church had to bring the water from the well in buckets to fill the pool. Bro. Basil Hopper, Bro. Greeley Littlejohn, Bro. Jake Ellis and Bro. Grady Lindsay were ordained as deacons.
Rev. Tolbert served for three years before Rev. B. J. Leggins was elected as pastor in 1956. Under his leadership of four years, the church built a dining room, added two sets of steps, pulpit set, and a communion table. A well was dug and a water pump installed. Bro. Stanyard Oglesby, Bro. Fletcher Leach, and Bro. William Jolly were ordained as deacons.
In 1961, Rev. E. H. Wood was chosen and he served for twenty-two years. During his leadership, three education rooms, a pastor’s study, ladies lounge, two restrooms, a choir stand, running water, sinks, kitchen cabinets, heating and air conditioning were added to the church. The floors were refinished and the dining hall was repaired. The church purchased 5.9 acres of land. Nine deacons were ordained: Bro. Ed Ross, Bro. Bobby McDowell, Bro. Madison Watts, Bro. James Sarratt, Bro. Carl Ray Bridges, Bro. Benny F. Crosby, Bro. Herbert Leach, Bro. O.P. Rodgers, and Bro. Lyman Dawkins. On December 13, 1981 a new cornerstone was laid.
On February 27, 1982, Rev. Andy Young began his leadership. Under his leadership, the church began having services every Sunday morning. Three were called into the ministry: Rev. Frankie Ellis, Rev. Celina Lindsay and Rev. Vance Sarratt. Bro. B. Lewis Blanton, Bro. Lewis Vanlue, and Bro. Olee Mannings were added to the deacon board. The first Board of Trustees was organized. Seven trustees were commissioned: Bro. Gilbert Smith, Bro. Eddie Holmes, Bro. Preston Ross, Bro. Ernest Lindsay, Bro. Homer McGill, Bro. Leonard Houey, and Bro. Willie D. Sarratt. Four choirs were organized and the Young Adult Choir changed its name to The Andy Young Inspirationals. The YWA Missionary Circle was organized and the church united with the Union of Churches and the Thickety Mountain Baptist Association. A New Members Orientation Committee, tape and bus/van ministries were organized. The church was renovated adding two education rooms, a pastors’ study, four restrooms, a foyer in the font of the church, new windows, lighting and enlarging the dining area. The church purchased a copy machine, church bus, an organ and installed an intercom system. In 1986, the church purchased Morgan Manor and changed the name to Concord Acres. The facilities include over six acres, two dorms, cafeteria, parsonage, and swimming pool.
Rev. Celina Lindsay was the interim pastor from Feb 1994 until November 5, 1994 when Rev. Albert Hillman was elected as Pastor. Under Rev. Hillman, the church Constitution and By Laws were established and the church became incorporated and received official tax exempt status. Other improvements were made including updating office equipment, purchasing a new piano and additional land. Concord Acres was also paid off. Rev. Hillman resigned on January 7, 1996.
On April 20, 1996, Rev. Frederick Gambrell was elected pastor. Under his leadership, three new trustees were appointed: Bro. Darren Norris, Bro. Choice Leach, and Bro. James Littlejohn. Rev. Michael Bridges was ordained into the ministry. The Church service hours were changed to Sunday School 9:00 A.M. and Worship Service 10:00 A.M. Rev. Gambrell resigned June 14, 1998 and Rev. Michael Bridges was elected as interim pastor.
Dr. Michael A. Bridges was elected pastor on June 13, 1999. Two trustees were commissioned: Bro. Olee Holmes and Bro. Edward Byers. Under his leadership there has been tremendous growth spiritually, financially, in membership and in attendance. Mid-week bible study is held morning and evening. Two acres of land was purchased around the church in 2003 and three acres were given by Coach Curtis in 2004. By the grace of God and his outstanding leadership, Dr. Bridges led Concord to realize its dream of building a new church costing about $3.1 million. The building we praise God in now is the fifth building. The ground breaking ceremony was February 22, 2004 and the first service was held on December 25, 2005. An eight week summer camp for pre-school to high school began in 2009. On November 28, 2010 a church photo directory was completed. In October of 2011, Deacon Herbert Leach was honored as Deacon Emeritus and four deacons were ordained: Bro. Olee Holmes, Bro. Jackie Leach Sr., Bro James McGill Sr., and Bro. Shawn Mintz. Eight trustees were installed: Bro. Shannon Bonner, Bro. Leroy Dillard, Bro. Robert Jefferies, Bro. Raynard Dukes, Bro. James Hollis Jr, Bro. Robert Jeffries, Bro. Elvis Johnson, and Bro. Johnny Sarratt Jr. In November 2013, a new media and projection system was installed within the sanctuary.
Since organizing in 1872, Concord Baptist Church has been blessed to have fourteen pastors, thirty seven deacons, and twenty five trustees.